You don’t play baseball wearing your regular sneakers. You need shoes with a much better traction and tread, or you would end up with bruises due to frequent tripping and sliding. Baseball is played by young boys or professional male players, and they all need sturdy baseball cleats. Youth or men’s baseball cleats should have sharp studs for enhanced traction. Besides good traction, comfort is another important factor. You have several things to consider when shopping for baseball cleats.
1. Check the requirements of your baseball league for cleats. Your league may have specific requirements for players at certain age bracket. There may be required specifications for youth baseball cleats, which is different from those for professional baseball cleats. For instance, young boys may have to wear molded ones that have polyurethane studs. Older players may need those with metal studs.
2. Determine the type of ground you will be playing on. If you are playing on a ground with soft soil, you need to wear those with long studs, as longer ones provide better traction when running on soft soil. On hard surfaces, cleats with short studs should be all right. Professional players generally need more than one type of these kinds of footwear.
3. The perfect fit is very important. No matter how good the quality of this sports footwear is, if they do not fit right, they will cause much discomfort. When trying cleats at a store, make sure you are wearing your baseball socks. These kinds of footwear should feel comfortable, especially on the toes, as they should never hit the front interior of the shoe.
4. The material that this footwear is made of is important as well. Those made of leather are good, because it allows your feet to breathe, but leather ones are not that friendly to the pockets, and should only be opted for by serious professionals. Synthetic materials are cheaper. These are good materials for youth baseball cleats. Teenage boys would need different shoes every year, because they grow fast during the teenage years. Investing in expensive footwear for them may be an uneconomical option.
5. Check how the cleats fit. A nice cleat is one that has the hook-and-eye loop tape that allows a better fit. You will know when the shoes are just right when they fit snugly without extra room for your foot to move inside. Baseball cleats are distinct from those worn in other types of sports. Like most athletic footwear though, they need to provide snug fit and good traction. Remember that a good grip is mainly provided by the studs, which allow accident-free movement on wet, slippery surfaces.
6. Molded or detachable cleats? While a cleat may refer to the actual footwear, it may also refer to an attachment under it. It is also important to discuss this one. What is the difference between molded and detachable ones? A molded type is the one that is attached under the shoe. Repairing damaged molded ones are expensive. The detachable kind, on the other hand, can be replaced or removed, and are suitable for players who play in several environments. The disadvantage of detachable ones, however, is that they do not last long.